Saturday, December 16, 2006

Book Review Friday

This book is one one of my favourite and is an encouragement as well as conviction in areas that I need to work on.
First in Chater 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ". God promises that He will not give up on me. I am so thankful for this promise, I would be in deep trouble if He stopped working in my life right now. There is still so much for Him to change in my life.
Second in Chapter 2:14 "Do all things without murmurings and disputings". This is an area of my life that I need to continually work on. Even when I think I am doing so well, I am reminded that I have not fulfilled this command.
Next in Chapter 3: 13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Too often I dwell on things of the past, which I can do nothing about, my desire is to change the things that I can today.
Lastly in Chapter 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice". This is what I want to be true in my life. and 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things". As I read this I am reminded how much I have to work on with God's help John 15:5 "... for without me ye can do nothing". 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content".
I have come to the conclusion that if I want to accomplish this task, I will need to be thinking about others and not dwell on myself and what I want.
This is only a brief account of all the things my Lord has shown me in this precious book.
Until next time.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

It's was great to have a book review waiting for me to read when I got home today. Thanks. :)

Seven said...

Hi Barb ~ I'm Anne's oldest sister. I didn't read Philippians this week, not even once, and when I read your review I was reminded of some meaningful verses to me. I need to forget those things which are behind and press toward the mark! I also need lots of work in the murmurings and disputings department. Thanks for sharing.