Saturday, December 30, 2006

Daniel Chapter 4-6 Review

I didn't quite complete my goal of reading Daniel 4-6 everyday this week, missed a couple days. There were many nuggets of gold in these chapters to give me a glimpse of myself . I can see more of myself in Nebuchadnezzar than Daniel as well, my goal for the future - to have more of a Daniel testimony in my life. Why do I think of myself as doing so great, when I am actually being disobedient to what God says? Proverbs 30:12 "There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness". I'm glad God doesn't give up on me.

I am thankful that the Lord is merciful and forgiving. Even when Nebuchadnezzar was lifted up with pride and boasted how he built his empire with his own might, giving God no glory, God forgave him when he repented.
Unlike Belshazzar who had seen all the things that his father had done and the consequenses of his actions, he allowed his pride and idol worship to be exalted in his life. I can see the things in this man's life, but what about the sin that I repeat? Why do I not learn from the past mistakes?

Daniel's is the life I long to mirror. He did not know the outcome of disobeying the King's decree, but he did know how important it was to obey God. God was pleased with Daniel and rewarded him for his faithfulness. I know that the same God that was pleased with Daniel's obedience is the same God that I want to please and I also know that God will not allow me to continually disobey without consequenses. As Galatians 6:7,8 says: "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting".

There is much more to be said from the chapters we have been reading, I hope that I will take heed to the things that God has revealed to me about myself . I want to be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer only. James 1:23 "For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:...".

Until next time! I am looking forward to reading 1 Thessalonians this week. Count me in. There is nothing like being accountable to others to keep me pressing on.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!



2 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for doing a review Barb. I'm really excited about 1 Thess too! :0)

Home Sweet Home said...

Hi Anne,
I also read 1 Thessalonians this morning and have written down so many things to write a blog about. We'll see how I do on Friday:-)