Friday, February 2, 2007

2 Timothy Review

I think I must be dull of hearing. This book was a little hard to dig out truths to apply to my every day life. Here are some of the things I did see to live a Christian life.

In Chapter 1:5 there is a Christan heritage of at least three generations; what a blessing to be able to have this kind of heritage in our families. If I want to see my faith passed down to the next generations, I need to be a bold witness to my family and all those that I come in contact with and not be afraid of what might be thought of me. Fear does not come from God, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (vs7). God is not pleased with me when I am not willing to share the Gospel, I need to be ready to suffer reproach if need be. God is my strength and I can be assured that He will always keep His promises,"...I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day" (12).

In chapter 2 I am reminded that I am not to be entangled with the affairs of this world, but rather to please my Saviour. I need to to keep looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of my salvation to give me wisdom and strength to avoid the pitfalls of the world I live in.

Vs.12 makes me shiver just to think that Christ would deny me because I am not willing to claim Him. I want to be a bolder witness for Christ and be more faithful to Him. He has done so much for me, "He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay..." Psalm 40:2. I am also reminded to " Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" vs. 15.

Vs. 25 tells me to have a meek and humble attitude when I am witnessing to those who do not know Christ as their own personal Saviour. There are times when frustration shows through my attitude when those I love just don't want to listen. I have to stop and think how many times those who were witnessing to me, and I would not listen, felt the same!

When I read Chapter 3 it became very apparent that we are in the last days, ""This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away". This to me is a definite picture of the day we are living in. I suppose it should not be so surprising that this is happening, since God has already warned us about the way our society would be. I still get upset and disgusted at the wicked things that are allowed to be made law because of "this is my right" opinions.

I cannot pick and choose what parts of God's Word I will obey. God says:,"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 3:16. I need to keep pressing on and not become discouraged with the things I cannot change. I would like to be able to say with Paul, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" 4: 7; and to hear my Lord say".. Well done, good and faithful servant; ..." Matthew 25:23. It is not possible to love this world and God at the same time they are totally in contrast to one another. My prayer is that I will forsake the things of this world and cling to the things of my Lord with all my heart.

I hope this makes some sense, I feel like I am all over the place.

Now I am off to read the reviews of my BRF friends:) Until next time, keep trusting in the One who gave His all - our Saviour!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

For being dull of hearing it seems you heard lots! :) Lots of good points to ponder.