Wednesday, February 28, 2007

BRF - Mark 1-4

The first thing I saw while reading this book is that so much more today we can say as Jesus said in1:15 "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel". It makes me shudder when I share the Gospel with people and they are not a bit interested in their eternal destiny. The more I look at this world and the sin that is so prevalent, the more sure it makes me that the coming of Christ is very close.

Jesus says in v.17 that it is He who makes me a soul winner and not yself, "And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men." (emphasis mine). When I have an opportunity to witness and it is received favorably, I can think what a good job I did, NOT it is all of Christ. "I can of mine own self do nothing:" John 5:30. Jesus asks me to be willing to follow Him and He will go with me whithersoever I go. I have heard it said that Jesus never gives us a job to do without the tools and ability to do it with. I need to remember this when I am being cowardly to witness to people especially my own family. I pray for the boldness to warn them of Hell. So many of my family are not saved.

In Chapter 2:15-17 I am reminded that I am not to look at the outward appearance of people but to see them as a soul that Christ died for. I wonder how people looked at me before Christ saved this wicked sinner. Too often I think we want to put every one into the mold that we think is the right one. I am so thankful that Christ does not save souls according to my standard. Where else would Christ be but among the sinners He came to save from an eternity in Hell? I trust that the next time I see someone that is not exactly welcomed by our society, that I will remember this passage and reach out to them with the love and Gospel of Christ and not shy away from them.

In chapter 3:23-26 it brought to my attention that I need to be protective and zealous for my Pastor and Church that I am not the cause of any division that would cause my sisters and brothers in Christ to be divided. Jesus said in v. 24,25, "And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand". I have a wonderful church family and I am so thankful to God for the love and care that is shown one toward another, I also know that I must not take this for granted but be ever careful myself not to be uncaring or thoughtless with my words or actions. I am sure that there are times when I have offended people and don't even realize it. I pray that God will keep me aware of the words I say, that I not offend anyone. I realize that this is not when I am sharing the Gospel (as the Bible says there are some that will be offended because if His Word), but the truth must be told in love.

I want to be a hundred fold Christian, I have a long way to go but I can keep striving to reach this goal with God's help. I want to keep my heart willing and teachable to the truths of God's Word. In 4:9 Jesus said, "And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear". Jesus also taught with illustrations (parables) because we can understand better the truth that He is teaching us.

Verse 21 While I am not sure that this verse means that I am not to hide that Christ is my Saviour, but to let my light shine brightly for Him that others may see Him in my life, it is true that I am to make sure that my testimony must be above reproach that the cause of Christ be not harmed. My prayer is that I would not hear these words from anyone, "I couldn't see anything different or better in your life than mine, so why should I want Christ?" God wants me to sow the seed to as many as I can, the reaping of souls is His job. Jesus uses the little mustard seed to show that even my little efforts could bring forth much fruit, if I am just willing to sow the seed.

Lastly I see that when the disciples thought that Christ did not care if they perished in the storm, He stepped forward and said three simple words, “Peace, be still” (Mark 4:39), and the winds and seas obeyed Him. The same great God that stilled the storm with three words offers us His power to help us each day. I can see God's hand of peace, comfort and protection in the midst of the storms of my life. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. As He calmed the storm with the words of His mouth "Peace be Still" He is the same Lord today and can calm the storms in my life.

What a wonderful God we (I) serve!!! Now I am waiting to see what each of you gleaned from these chapters. To keep me from temptation at looking at any one's review before I have done mine, I am writing this on Thursday, but will post it on Friday. I can say of myself "O ye of little faith. Yield not to temptation"!!!

Until next time, just keep trusting the Lord!:)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

A 'hundred fold Christian', hmmmm. That sounds so much better than a 'stony ground Christian'. :) I'll shoot for the former title instead. Thanks for the review, Barb.