Friday, January 12, 2007

Book review - 2 Thessalonians

This book has much to say about faith, prayer and being steadfast in His Word. I praise the Lord for His Word! This was another week of mediating and searching His Word for what He would have me to learn.

Paul starts out with exhortation to the Thessalonians, reminding them of their prayers and thanksgiving to God for them. I want to be careful to show this kind of care and concern for those God brings into my life. It is easy to see the faults in others and quickly point these out and not give any encouragement. I am thankful for my church family and the evidence of the caring one for another and I pray that I will never take my sisters and brothers in the Lord for granted , and that I would be an exhorter to good works and not a discourager.

I would like to say that I am always patient when faced with difficult situations as these people were, but I know that my Lord has more work to do in me in this area of my life.

Again in this book, we see that God doesn't want us to take things into our own hands with those who treat us unjustly, but rather leave it to Him who will take care of the problem justly and at the right time. These people could look at Paul's life and see his testimony of belief and faith in God. He knew that God would fulfil all His promises. I pray that I might have a life that reflects my faith and love for God relying totally on Him whatever the situation .

I am reminded that I need to be always on guard and to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" 2 Timothy 2:15 , as well 1 John 4:1.tells me "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world".

Paul tells the people in Chapter 3 to separate themselves from those who walk disorderly and not after the example that they had witnessed in him. He tells them that, " if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother".

He again brings up the point of looking after our own affairs that we be not busybodies, interfering or gossiping about the affairs of others. This makes me realize that if it is important enough to mention more than once in God's Word that it is an area I need to take heed to in my own life.

Paul began this book with encouragement of the peace and comfort of God and ends with the exhortation of the peace and grace of God.

Many more lessons can be learned from this book, but for now I have many things to strive for, all with God's help and teaching. John 15:5 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing".
Until next time. Keep looking to the One that is worthy of all our praise.

No comments: