Friday, January 5, 2007

Book Review Friday - 1 Thessalonians

This book was a comforting book with some exciting promises to look forward to.

I am exhorted to pray continually for my sisters and brothers in Christ, I know that I can be more diligent in this area of my prayer life. When I read our Missionary Prayer letters, there are many struggles that they endure. I can continually pray for each of them as they serve the Lord.

I want to be gentle but firm in my witness to others, but I don't want to be pleasing man but rather to God. The glory all belongs to God for every soul that comes to Him, I desire to be a tool in God's hand to show the unsaved Calvary. Paul had a testimony that was without reproach. The people knew it was God's word not man's. I hope that my life and actions show forth a good testimony as Paul's did with the people he was giving the Gospel to. I am reminded that by living for Christ I can expect to be persecuted for my faith. God's Word tells me this in 2 Timothy 3:12 "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution".

I am also reminded that the Lord is the avenger of wrong doing - not me. I find it very difficult not to speak my mind, when I hear those that are unsaved using the Lord's name in vain, and doing those things that are so ungodly, but God's Word says that He will take care of these things. Romans 12:19, "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord".

Another area to remember is that if I am doing all that I should be doing to keep the things in my own life on track and right before the Lord, I will have no time left to see the wrong in others. Chapter 4 :11,12 , "And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing".

It is a blessing to have such a great promise and hope in Verses 16 - 17; "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord". Wow: "What a Day That Will Be" No more sin to contend with!

I am told in this book to always be ready for the Lord's return. This is something to continue to strive for. I pray that I will not take the opportunities to witness for granted. I am very blessed to live in a country where I can carry my Bible openly, go freely to my church and suffer very little, if any persecution for witnessing to the lost, even when they are not interested. I thank the Lord for His blessings to me.

This was a book full of hope and promises, many more comments could be made, but I fear this will turn into a book, not a review.

Looking for the next book to be challenged with! Until next time, may God bless you richly.

No comments: