Saturday, January 20, 2007

Book Review - Ruth

What a blessing the Book of Ruth is of the goodness and working of God! This week God has shown me how God can take wrong choices and turn them into something for good. He has changed my life and is still showing me where I need to change.

When things appeared to be difficult, Elimelech went to the world and this did not show to his family that he trusted in the Lord for provision for his family. It made me think about myself and how often I have gone to the world for provision for my life instead of asking God first. Sobering thoughts! Is God able? Definitely! Does He care about me and my little problems? Yes He does! 1Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you". (emphasis mine).

Again when Naomi decided to return to her homeland, she told her daughters-in-law to return to their people. Orpah was not willing to trust God, but went back to her homeland where things would be easier and familiar to her, (I liken this to the world). Ruth choose to stay and take whatever would come her way; I see this as trusting in the Lord and for His will for her life. She choose the best way - to follow the Lord! Too often I find myself looking for the way that causes me the least stress or problems in my life. I don't like confrontation at all. I pray the Lord would help me just to trust Him and to remember that nothing touches my life except the Lord allows it to make me more like the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no affliction that I can suffer on this earth that would ever be as bad as missing spending eternity with the Lord.

God blessed Ruth for her love and care of Namoni. She had a testimony of being a virtuous woman, "And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman. " 3:16. She was not known for being a flirt with the young men, "And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich." 3;15. Ruth is an example for each of us to follow whether we are young ladies or older women.

God never promises us an easy road but as the song says"he promises us that He will go with us". Ruth is the kind of woman that I want to be like and I know that I just need to obey the Lord whether it be difficult or enjoyable to do.

Now I'm off to learn some things from each of you ladies that I missed in the Book of Ruth. As usual I found it hard not to read the Reviews before I did my own, so I just kept myself busy so I would not yield to temptation:-) I am looking forward with anticipation for the next Book you have for us Shannon. Thank you for your faithfulness in choosing the Books to challenge me in my Christian walk.

Until next time!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Wonderful review! I've learned a couple more things by reading your review. :)

Jenn said...

thanks for writing what you learned. As always, I love learning from everyones review! I think that is what helps make this weekly reading even more exciting!

Home Sweet Home said...

There is so much to learn and I am also enjoying reading each review. My prayer is that what I learn I will apply to my life and grow closer to my Lord and to serve Him more each day with my whole heart.